Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Happy New Year Activities

This has been a lazy couple of weeks for me. I had wonderful intentions of taking down the Christmas Tree, organizing my closet, and cleaning out my pantry. But then I thought, why get ahead of myself?? I probably need to leave some of those resolutions to be completed in the New Year, right?? Exactly! :)


So in an effort to avoid becoming a total couch potato, I prepared some homeschool lessons on the New Year for the kids. Addison is still out of school this week, and Trey and Lindsay and I were technically out too. But I hate leaving a learning opportunity hanging out in the wind, so I took advantage of lapbook kit I found on CurrClick.


We are learning about different New Years customs all over the world, how ancient customs, traditions, and rituals are similar and different from those of today, and we're making some resolutions for ourselves in the New Year.


Today we started working on a time capsule! I can't wait until it's complete! We will include the following items and bury it in the backyard.


list of our favorite things / foods
newspaper
pictures of us throughout 2009
list of purchase prices for items like stamps, gas, milk, etc.
a poem that Addison wrote this Christmas
a letter to our future selves
list of goals/accomplishments from 2009
pictures of how our house looks today


We will draw a map and put it in our family scrapbook so that we'll remember where we buried our time capsule, and we will open it again in 2020. It's an understatement to say that we're excited about this project! The kids can't wait to break out the shovel and start digging! Let's just hope the dogs leave it buried and don't scatter our poor time capsule all over the yard!


Trey and Addison with our almost-completed Time Capsule
(Lindsay snoozed through the whole thing!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get reader comments!!